With the holiday season in full-swing, toys for children are on a lot of parents’ minds. Here are some tips to make sure your child is safe while playing with his or her favorite toys!

  • Small parts: Pay close attention to the safety labels on toys with small parts. Children three years of age and younger should only play with toys larger than the opening of a toilet paper roll in order to avoid the risk of choking.
  • Magnets: Be aware of the dangers associated with magnetic toys, especially those with magnetic parts small enough to swallow. If two or more magnets are swallowed separately, they can attract inside the body, pinch the intestine, and cause very serious internal damage.
  • Loud toys: If the noise the toy makes is too loud for you, then it is too loud for your child. Some toys can produce sound levels equivalent to those of a lawnmower, which is loud enough to cause permanent hearing damage.
  • Chemicals: If you can find toys made from natural substances, you can limit your child’s exposure to chemicals. Click here to find out if your child’s toys might contain potentially dangerous chemicals.

Click here to read more about how to choose safe toys!